It’s finally a brand new year—and since surviving 2020, everyone is hoping to make 2021 the best that’s ever been. After spending nearly an entire 365 days in quarantine, many folks have let their health and wellness take a backseat in terms of importance, and now is the ideal time to get back on track. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular wellness trends for this year and determine what you need to feel your best!
It’s impossible to determine how healthy a person is just by looking at them, so to determine your level of wellness, we need to take a peek inside your body. How? With the help of some biomarkers!
You’ve more than likely come across these before at your annual physical with your primary care physician. A biomarker—a portmanteau of the words biological and marker—are measurable body characteristics used by health professionals to ascertain how everything functions beneath the surface. We’re talking about things like blood pressure, heart rate, oxygen levels, and more! By analyzing these facets, doctors can more accurately determine what moves need to come next to help patients reach their optimal health levels. This strategy is vital because you need to see a complete picture and aim for all-inclusivity to get to a place of true wellness. Everything in your body is connected, so working on all health areas will lead to a better life quality.
The best way to take a look under the symbolic hood of the vehicle that is your body is through blood panel testing. Your doctor will draw blood and check your levels for some key biomarkers, including:
- Blood Count. This will determine how many red and white blood cells you have, as well as the number of platelets. Why does this matter? Too many or too few of any of these can indicate underlying diseases or infections you may not be aware of otherwise—things like cancer, nutritional deficiencies, bone marrow or heart problems, and more.
- Basic & Complete Metabolic Panels. These tests check levels of critical compounds in the blood like potassium, calcium, glucose, sodium, electrolytes, liver enzymes, and others. These panels require at least eight hours of fasting beforehand for an accurate result, and they could indicate issues with metabolic processes that could lead to kidney disease, diabetes, and other long term issues that affect your organs.
- Lipid Panel. Here, you’ll find out about your cholesterol levels—high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or “good” cholesterol, and low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or “bad” cholesterol. You need the good stuff to support the liver with removing harmful substances in your bloodstream, and the bad kind can cause dangerous plaque to build up in your arteries, which can cause heart problems later on.
- Hormone Panel. These tests are how healthcare professionals determine the functionality of the thyroid gland, sex hormones, and adrenal glands, which regulates your metabolism, mood, and energy levels through the production of and reaction to certain hormones. When these hormones are out of balance, the whole body suffers.
- Enzyme & Inflammation Markers. Enzymes and inflammatory markers are critical for lots of wellness aspects inside your body—like breaking down food or clotting blood. Running a test like this may help determine heart, brain, gut, and other forms of health and can help professionals address issues before they become big problems.
In addition to these panels, your doctor might want to run some viral screening tests to rule out any infectious disease or viral conditions that may have no other symptoms, as well as other tests that can help pinpoint the root cause of body issues.
These biomarkers allow healthcare providers to get a better idea of what’s happening inside their patients’ bodies so that they may formulate a more efficient wellness plan that treats the entire system instead of just parts. Sure, you can mask or fix certain symptoms, but without addressing the cause, they’re sure to return. That’s why taking an all-inclusive approach to your wellbeing is a top trend for 2021!
Learn more about Biomarker Testing
Holistic + Functional Wellness
Traditional medicine isn’t for everyone, of course. Some people prefer a more holistic and natural approach to their wellness journey—and that’s okay! While some may taut this angle as being a “hippie” way of living, the reality is that there are many roads leading to great health and it’s up to the patient (that’s you!) to determine what path they want to take. Whatever your preferences are, there’s a treatment that’s right for you.
Bioidentical Hormone Therapy Or Supplements. Are your levels of certain hormones low? There are bioidentical options that can help! Your provider will perform a blood panel test and determine what’s missing, depleting, or imbalanced from your biological makeup. Then, they’ll supplement with natural and native versions of these hormones that are incredibly similar to the ones made by all those glands in your endocrine system. This can be done through therapeutic hormone administration or supplements. These bioidentical alternatives have been rigorously tested for safety and purity, and a great number of them are even FDA approved. This approach is a much more personal and individualized form of healthcare as the bioidentical hormones are carefully selected based on your body’s specific needs. You may be able to alleviate such problems as:
- Weight Gain
- Memory Loss
- Mood Disorders
- Energy Problems
- Weakened Libidos
- Sexual Dysfunction
- And More!
The purpose of this treatment plan is obviously to increase levels of missing hormones and maintain balance in your body so that the biological functions that cause these issues can improve.
Learn more about Hormone Therapy
IV Therapy. Anyone who has had the misfortune of needing to take a trip to the hospital knows one of the first things they do in the ER is place an IV line in your vein to help deliver much needed medication and hydrating fluids directly to your bloodstream for rapid relief. Now, you don’t need to be admitted with a plastic name-tag bracelet to flood your system with the vitamins you need to feel your best! Dehydrated? A bag of IV fluids can help. Feeling under the weather? Vitamins and minerals will get to work quickly to support your immune system. Having a hard time getting the energy going to tackle your to-do list? Yep, IV therapy can even help with that.
Why choose this treatment option? The most obvious answer is it’s massively convenient! Find a clinic—like us here at R3 Health—and all you have to do is sit back, relax, and let a wellness concoction flow into your veins and right to the source. There are loads of common uses for this technique, including:
- Hangover Relief
- Migraine Or Headache Support
- Alleviation Of Pregnancy Symptoms
- Boost Athletic Performance Recovery
- Strengthen The Immune System & Fight Colds Or The Flu
The average treatment can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour and can be performed in a doctor’s office or right from the comfort of your own home—which is, of course, key for people who are trying to stay quarantined during a global pandemic.
Learn more about IV Therapy
Ozone Therapy. Everyone knows oxygen is super critical for great health—but have you heard about ozone? You probably have in context to our atmosphere! It’s a gas that’s related to the most common one we breathe in, and is used by alternative health practitioners to fight a variety of ailments and diseases. Above our heads, there’s a layer of ozone that protects us down here on the ground from harmful UV radiation. Inside our bodies, however, this gas protects from so much more. Researchers believe it may help with such common problems as:
- Viral Diseases
- Weakened Immune Systems
- Heart Disease
- Macular Degeneration
- And More!
When inhaled, ozone can be harmful to the lungs and mucous membranes in your throat, which can lead to irritation, coughing, and other respiratory side effects. That’s why most treatments involve getting this gas into your body through blood infusions, ozonated water, or even by encapsulating a body part in plastic and exposing it to ozone for a specific amount of time. Because of the many risks and side effects associated with this hot wellness trend, you’ll want to have expert assistance!
Learn more about Ozone Therapy
Health At Home
The pandemic has been scary, right? While the vaccine is finally here, giving many a feeling of great relief, it’s not quite enough for everything to return to normal—at least not yet. So masks, social distancing, and self isolation are going to be themes that continue well into 2021. Because of this, home-based health treatment options are on the rise! Additionally, people are starting to realize that many of us possess the ability to take our wellness into our own hands by creating some powerful lifestyle changes. What are some of the most popular trends to look out for this year? Let’s take a look!
Telemedicine. We all have a cell phone in our pocket! That makes connecting to your doctor from a distance much easier. Patients can now get treatment for a wide number of health problems without ever having to sit in a waiting room. It also means that doctors can see more patients in a day as this method of communication eliminates the need for exam room turnaround and cleaning. It’s also helpful for people with mobility problems and folks that don’t have reliable transportation.
How does it work? A few ways! One option is over video conferencing through a web app or digital patient portal. Another is simply over the phone. It might be strange at first to talk to your computer or phone screen for medical visits but many people prefer it as it’s faster, more streamlined, and helps them stay six feet away from everyone.
Learn more about Telemedicine
3D Fitness Scanning. Remember earlier when we were talking about how hard it is to see inside your body? We need tests to get the full picture! But there are other ways than a blood panel to get the clearest image possible. One alternative is with 3D fitness scanning! This technology consists of a platform and a scanner. You’d stand on it and hold still for anywhere from just a few seconds to about a minute. Then, the computer takes 3D images of your body and breaks down the composition into data that can then be interpreted by a healthcare professional to formulate a plan for optimal wellness. These scans can determine body mass, fat composition, and so much more!
You can buy one for yourself—but it will run you a few thousand dollars—or you can also take advantage of clinics and doctor’s offices that proudly boast this state-of-the-art machinery as a tool and get your scan.
Learn more about 3D Body Scanning
Basic Nutrition & Diet: Food Is Medicine. You are what you eat—and there’s no better way to help your body than with a healthy diet based on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, proteins, and good-for-you fats. Each one of these macronutrients play an important role in your body’s biological functions and there are many foods that can assist with troublesome symptoms and other ailments. For example:
- Ginger. This rhizome has been used for centuries to treat inflammation in the body, which is thought to be the root cause of a variety of ailments.
- Fiber. Having bowel troubles? Fiber may be the answer! By providing bulk to stool, it greatly assists with the elimination of waste products.
- Steel Cut Oats. This whole grain option is lauded as a great choice for helping to lower your levels of bad cholesterol.
- Fatty Fish. Love salmon? That’s great news for your brain! These aquatic creatures are chock full of omega 3 fatty acids which help your gray matter run at full capacity for improved memory, focus, concentration, and more!
This is truly just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to following Hippocrates’ advice to let food be thy medicine. By keeping in mind some elementary nutrition principles, you can be on your way to perfect health in no time! What are these basics?
- Get Lots Of Whole Grains. This is a top priority as there are many functions that are supported here. One, is a healthy digestion as most whole grains boast tons of fiber for regularity. Another is energy! The FDA recommends about three servings per day.
- Pile On The Protein. Without protein, our bodies can’t heal or build new tissues! For a speedy recovery after injury, you’ll need to make sure you’re getting enough of this critical macronutrient, and you can figure out the ideal amount for your body using the guidelines of .36 grams per pound of body weight. For example, a 185lbs person should aim for about 66grams.
- Pack In Produce. It’s like Mama always said, right? Make sure to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables! She wasn’t wrong. Getting enough of these important foods help provide more fiber, tons of vitamins and minerals, and even some hydration. Without those facets, your body suffers with weakened immune systems. Plus, we can’t forget about antioxidants—known for fighting free radicals that can cause cancer.
In short? Basic nutrition should be at the top of your priority list for 2021 if you’re going to achieve your best health and increase your quality of life!
Learn more about Integrative Medicine
Supplements + Nutritional Drinks. You want to give yourself the best chance at great health, right? Of course! That’s why so many people turn to supplements and nutritional drinks to help fill the gaps their diet may be missing. Anyone can see the popularity of this option just by taking a stroll through your local drugstore and seeing the plethora of options on the shelves. But the sad truth? Not all supplements or nutritional drinks are created equal. Many store-bought options are filled with nasty ingredients and preservatives that can end up doing more harm than good. In addition, the potency often lacks in these options, which inhibits their ability to help your body perform better. So, what’s the solution? Get your products from a trusted source.
Many wellness centers—like R3 Health, for example—take the time to carefully curate their own line of high-quality nutritional drinks and supplements. We’ll be covering this topic in more depth in a later blog, but for now the key takeaway should be quality. In an office, your healthcare provider isn’t trying to sell mass-produced health aids to a large population! Instead, they can afford to take the time to develop superior options that are free from nasty ingredients and other questionable additives.
Visit our Supplement Store
Thinking about adding a protein powder or maybe a multivitamin to your daily routine? Think twice before heading down to your local Walgreens to pick up something from their supplement aisle. Do you really know what’s in those capsules? Nope! But by getting your products from a trusted, medically trained source, you’ll know exactly what you’re getting and can be sure it’s potent and pure.
Wow—there’s a lot trending in the wellness world this year! Feeling overwhelmed? Don’t panic! The good news is you don’t have to do it alone. Our experts here at R3 Health are ready to help you implement these ideas and plans into your lifestyle so you can have the best 2021 imaginable! What trends do you think will remain popular throughout the year? We think all of them have staying power—which will you try first?